Friday 8 October 2010

Week...4?


I think I'm in week 4 now. I hope so anyway as I've nearly run out of the money I brought with me which was meant to last a month. I haven't particularly done anything special this week to warrant an individual post so I'll just try and remember what I've done... Some people write about what they had for breakfast. Tip: nobody cares.

Had my first Mass Media lecture on Tuesday. Was actually alright. A few of my classmates were taking it too which I didn't realise when I first picked it. The lecturer apparently appears on TV and spent a while complaining about the price of housing in Hong Kong. We seem to be learning how backwards the Japanese media is.

I have 2 other business things. One is a seminar which is in Japanese. Each week someone does some research and brings in a few sheets of paper for the class to discuss. I understand about 5% if I'm lucky. The teacher is American though and sometimes translates a bit for me. Afterwards, the Japanese girls in the seminar invited me to go drinking with them sometime next week. I only realised this later on though. I just say 'yes' to everything without really fully understanding it at the time.

Other than classes, in my spare time I've been learning loads of new vocabulary and kanji. The picture attached is what I wrote down in today's class. Not sure when exactly I'm going to say 'development project' or 'adversity'. I don't think I've ever said them in English.

Oh, and for breakfast I had a jam on toast.

2 comments:

  1. How many times have you been out for lunch? If it's just twice, that's not so good for success rates! If it's alot more than that, then that's not so bad! Try eating out at places with a vegetarian! We had a very low success rate (especially in Kyoto). When you even have a note written out in perfect Japanese saying 'i only eat vegetables' alot of people seemed to think, 'ok, well i'll just give you some fish with that too' :)

    Haha, saying Yes to everything could get you in some trouble. Extra work for one thing!

    Did i mention i've been re-watching Arrested Development lately? Yeah, one or two every couple of nights. Anyway, that's my Arrested Development Project. Elliott is still keeping us up alot in the nights still, so it's been tough watching them in between all that. You might say i've had to overcome great adversity to watch them all...

    Good luck with the drinks an' that. Will be nice to get out and see some bars (maybe Karaoke?) with some new people :)

    Oh, and what, no Natto for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are quite a few izakayas round here where you pay a set amount and then drink away for the evening.

    Natto for breakfast is the sign of a class a mental-case. :)

    ReplyDelete